Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Always the Procrastinator

I have wanted to read this book for 6 years! The author, Chrys Ingraham, is possibly the most intelligent and passionate women I will ever know. She was one of my professor’s in college and I planned my schedule each semester around the possibility of taking one of her classes. To this day I am still upset that I didn’t get to take her Sociology of the Media class, I thought about auditing it the year after I graduated but the whole 3 hour commute from NYC wasn’t going to work.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Chrys and I share a special bond that I wish we didn’t. My roommate senior year, Nancy - who was a sophomore that year, had always admired Chrys and when she confided in me that she wanted to transfer after I graduated I immediately brought her to Chrys in hopes of changing her mind. Nancy stayed and became very involved in one of Chrys’s passions - the unfair living situations of Mexican workers, specifically near the US/Mexican boarder. Nancy went on a trip to Mexico with Chrys and was approved to go on another her senior year but she died in a car accident the summer before she was scheduled to go. Nancy’s family asked me to facilitate her funeral and asked Chrys to deliver her eulogy.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Nancy in the middle, me in the red - 2004.


While Chrys and I haven’t seen each other since Nancy’s funeral, we’ve kept in touch through e-mail. Chrys retired from my college last year but through some stoke of luck she is still teaching a class on Thursdays and I’m scheduled to be taking me engagement pictures at my school this Thursday! You better believe I’m going to read her book as fast as I can so that when I tell her about my wedding plans I’ll have something intelligent to say! I cannot wait to get a view of the other side of weddings, a side I think I need to read about before I get any farther in my plans. I’ll write about what I learn later.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Chrys Ingraham, Anita Roddick - founder of the Body Shop, and myself. My graduation - 2004.

No comments: